Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Hello, Blogland

Overseer Q came by the other day with the Captain Canuck Policies and Procedures Manual...you know, the one Joe Clark had written up in his brief stint as PM. Truth is, I never read the thing, but some desk jockey over at Superhuman Resources apparently has, and brought my employer's attention to article 1466.2, Section C, which states:


In the interest of promoting and engendering better relationships between the taxpaying public and Canada's oldest and only federally supported superhero mascot, the Captain shall regularly update and maintain the official Department H weblog.


When Q pointed out that there were only ten posts in total on the blog since it's installation last winter, and that the last posting hadn't been since July 1st (Canada Day) of this year, I smugly replied, "So what? Every day is Canada Day for Captain Canuck!" and went back to watching the Beachcombers DVD that Nelvana gave me on the one year anniversary of the first time we....er....attended Sugar Shack together in northern Quebec.

But Q was adamant that I uphold my public duty and make more regular contributions to the blog. I asked whether he couldn't just hire some young copywriter from Ottawa to whip something up for me, but apparently this would require a reduction in my wardrobe budget...and those flapping red capes with the maple leaf festooned in the middle are darn expensive to have made up!

So I've made this post just to say how much of an honour it is to be Canada's primary superhero icon, defender of the true north brave and free, friend of the beaver, lover of maple syrup and that crazy thing Nelvana can do to your underwear with here telekinetic powers. Yes, superheroing is a difficult and demanding job that I take very seriously, and if I don't post so regularly on the blog, it's only because there are two hundred some-odd Beachcomber episodes for me to review, and then I haven't even cracked open the Reach for the Top box set I got last Christmas.

Ah, those long, Canadian winters....

Canuck out!

3 Comments:

Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...


Happy Thanksgiving Captain!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Captain Canuck said...

Thanks!

Nothing like a big, roasted turkey, potatoes and greens all doused in a generous application of maple syrup....

Sweet sap-sucking pleasure!

6:54 PM  
Blogger The Taker of Gist said...

I have already missed the giving of the thanks! All I can do now is preempt the winter solstice with my new gist-tastic catch phrase, "what a big boat!"

It's a work in progress.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home